Saturday, March 19, 2011

Molding, Guiding


I don’t look forward to the day that the difficulties of existence become a reality for my babies.

So…before that day approaches, I want to make sure that they are prepared. I need to teach them, to mold them - to guide them.

Right now, my kids don’t know anything else besides love. They don’t know meanness, cruelty, hate. They don’t know anything outside of love and kindess. So, I ask myself: What type of people do I want my children to be? What is the most important thing I could teach my children? What is the best way I can prepare them for the world ahead? What’s important?

Children learn by example. They learn what they live. Makayla and Mason are watching me and how I react to life. Everyday, I try to live in a way that portrays good values in order to teach them what they need to help them through this life.
  • I want Makayla and Mason to know that what they say, what they do, and who they are really matter.
  • The power of attitude is one of the greatest powers on earth. It is the ability to choose the quality of your life regardless of its circumstances.
  • You teach love by giving love. Ultimately, love is everything. After all, there is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.  
  • I’d like to teach my children to ask themselves this question: “If everyone acted as I am about to do, what kind of world will I have created?” It will remind them that what they do matters, that how they act has an impact on the quality of our society, that everything they do becomes a role model for others and that they have the choice to act in such a way that if everyone follows them, then the world will have more love, more compassion, more caring, and more kindness than before.
I don't know.  This is the 'scary' part about being a parent.  It's sometimes overwhelming to me when I think about guiding my children into adulthood.  I don't want to mess up.  I want to do the best and be the best that I can possibly be for them. 

I know that Makayla is 2 and Mason is only 6 months old, but they are the most lovable, funniest, and kindest souls I know.  They don't know how to 'hate' or how to be mean.  They haven't met negativity yet.  

Every once in awhile, when I want an escape, I try to look at the world through they eyes of a child.  It's beautiful.  It's happy.  It's full of adventure and discoveries.

I don't want their character and hearts to be spoiled by reality.  I don't ever want to see them hurt, sad, or angry.  But - when that day does come (because I know it will), I will make sure that they have the tools and knowledge to make the best of the situation.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment