Friday, March 4, 2011

It Fell From My Body

You would think by now, after being back to work for almost 3 months, that we would be in some sort of ‘morning routine’.  But, no, we’re not.  I like to think that our mornings run smoothly, but when I get to work and I’m trying to catch my breath, it’s proven to me that we still have ‘kinks’ to work out.  Will we ever have a non-hectic morning again?  I don’t think so.
Once I got to work this morning, I never did get ‘settled’.  Things were rocky and things were busy.  I ordered a full order of bacon, pulled cords out of the wall, and held onto my unhooked bra while positioning.  Not to mention that our main xray room has been moved to the new facility, so my brain still hasn’t learned to function with a digital portable in Room 1.  Craziness. 
In the midst of my funky Friday, I went over to do an xray on a patient in the Emergency Room.  As I was raising my arms and ‘man handling’ the portable machine, something fell from my body.  I looked down to the floor and it was…
...Makayla’s Curious George sock. 
?????
Makayla’s sock!! Where did that come from?  How could I have missed that?  It must have gotten mixed up inside my shirt while doing laundry.
The sock on the floor made all of the morning mishaps go away.  It made me laugh and made my patient laugh.  It reminded me of what I get to go home to at the end of the day.  It reminded me that I have something amazing at home waiting to see me!  It reminded me why I work so hard.  I work hard to buy socks and anything else that my little miracles need or want. 
I put the sock in my pocket, smiled, and went on with the rest of the day.
Sometimes it just helps to know what all of this is for.  Sometimes, you just need a reminder of why you work so hard...even if it's just a sock on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment