Thursday, February 10, 2011

What's An Early Bedtime?

I decided after picking the kids up from daycare tonight that bedtime was going to be at 7pm. Ha. Ha. 

Makayla has had a rough couple of days (burning her fingertips on the stove and battling a runny nose) and she was "in a bad mood".  She clarified for me that she wasn't cranky, but in a bad mood.  If the kids went to bed that early, I definitely wouldn't complain of the down time.  I thought it might be nice to have a couple of hours in the evening all to ourselves.  We could lay on the couch, watch whatever we wanted to watch on tv, not talk, and possibly enjoy a glass of wine.  I need one of those nights.

I know 7pm is early and it was definitely wishful thinking.

At 9:30, Makayla was still going strong.  Kevin took her down to our bed to try to wind her down and every couple of minutes, up until 10pm, I would hear her yelling out "Go Oy Oy (Illinois)".  I kept giggling at myself that I was actually foolish enough to believe this child would go to sleep at 7pm.  It's now 10:30 and this is what my house looks like.  It's a far cry from what I had imagined my evening to be.

A full bag of Chex Mix poured out onto Makayla's kitchen.

A full sleeve of crackers randomly placed in the middle of the living room.

My living room.  Notice the baby passed out in the middle of all the chaos.

Call me lazy or call me dirty, but I'm t-i-r-e-d.  I have no intentions of cleaning this up tonight.  I will pick up the Chex Mix and I will pick up the crackers, but that is it.  I might write myself a note to move the food drawer out of reach of Makayla, but I am not going to pick up toys or fold blankets tonight.  It will all be waiting for me tomorrow...and that's okay. 

 I'm silly for thinking that I could make an early bedtime tonight.  Although it was fun to imagine what I would do with my quiet evening, it was even more fun to watch Makayla use her imagination to destroy my living room, watch Mason play with new toys, and listen to Makayla cheer on Oy Oy. 

Now, I think I am going to carry my baby boy up to bed, kiss him goodnight, and head to dreamland myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment