Saturday, November 5, 2011

Silence And Smiles


The kids are napping. I love it.
The house is quiet and the TV is muted. I love it.
…and if I hear the ice cream truck one more time, I’m going to…

Doesn’t he know my kids are sleeping and I’m loving this quiet time?

Last weekend, Kevin surprised me with a girl’s day out. We got pedicures, went shopping, and had a fabulous dinner at Osaka. Since then, I’ve been craving Osaka and can’t wait to go back.

This weekend, Kevin was involved with a surprise trip for his brother to a NFL game. Chiefs vs. Dolphins. The guys are gone in Kansas City having “guy time” for the weekend and Kevin couldn’t have been more pumped this past week.

…And next weekend, Kevin and I are going to escape together - kidless - for a trip the Caribbean. That’s a whole other post in its own. I’m not quite sure how I’m supposed to separate from my babies for that amount of time.

Anyway -
Makayla and Mason were playing in Makayla’s room the other day and Makayla was eating a sucker. Mason was going CrAzY because he wanted the sucker. He wanted it bad.
I told Makayla that maybe she should go downstairs to eat the sucker because since Mason can’t have one, it’s not very nice to eat it in front of him. She told me that "Mas would be okay".
When I went back upstairs to check on them a few minutes later, Makayla was crouched down by Mason, letting him lick her sucker. I was this close to stopping her, but I decided not to. I stayed out in the hallway so she didn’t know I was watching, and continued to observe the two of them. Makayla would take a couple of licks and then stick it back in Mason’s mouth for him to take a couple of licks. I let this go on for about five minutes.
She licked, he licked, back and forth, back and forth.

*Quiet time is over. I hear Makayla running full force into the living room.

So, after watching the two of them share Makayla’s sucker, I couldn’t help but smile. Makayla told me that Mason would be okay. And, she was right. Mason was okay. Makayla had a plan.  She knew exactly what she was going to do make Mason happy.  She was going to share her sucker.

I still can't get the scene out of my head.  Little Miss Makayla crouched down by Mason.  The room was filled with silence.  She proudly moved the sucker from her mouth to his mouth.  Then back to her mouth.  A smile across his face and a smile across her face. 
They were making each other so happy.
Silence and smiles.
Sister and Brother.
I love what they have with each other and in each other. 
I love them.

Here's Makayla after nap time, eating a Swedish Fish, begging to go wake Mason up.
"ya, dude, ya" - her new saying.




No comments:

Post a Comment