Monday, August 12, 2013

Important Advice


I came across this article titled "If I Could Do It All Over Again".  I read it and, of course, I was in tears by the time I finished it.  It's a very touching blog written by Carol McLeod. You can read the whole article if you click HERE.

"If I Could Do It All Over Again" is written in honor of all of the moms who have chosen to walk the very brave road of larger families. Whether you have a small family or a large family, Carol shares advice from the heart - advice that every mom (and dad) could benefit from.  

This article was beautifully written and while I think all of the advice is important and worthy, the pieces I am going to share are the ones that 'got me'... 



1. Don't ever feel guilty about everything that you aren’t able to do during this season (season of raising your children) but know that you are doing the most important things in life.
I remember one day when my highly successful, beautifully dressed mother walked into my zoo of a house filled with children. There were toys everywhere, the floor was sticky and the dishes hadn’t been done in days. That’s right … I said, “days”.  I was sitting in the middle of the family room floor reading books to my three boys when she walked in. I looked at her and said, “Mom, I am so sorry that my house looks like this.” She sat down on the couch, started folding the mountain of laundry and said, “That’s o.k., honey, you are doing the important things in life.”
At the end of every long, busy day, remind yourself, “That’s o.k., Sarah, you are doing the important things in life.”
Your children can never have too much of you. You are all that matters to them.

2. When a mom snuggles with an infant, for no other reason than just because I love you and want you, it builds a garrison of strength around that baby’s heart that no weapon of the culture can penetrate.

3. Start reading to them from the day you bring them home from the hospital. Read “Pat the Bunny”, “I’ll Love You Forever”, “Good Night, Moon”, and the Bible.  Even though they may not understand the meaning of the words … they will understand the love and cadence in your voice.

4. Don’t make your home such a serious place that it lacks the healing power of joy and gladness.  There can never be too much laughter in a home!

5.  You only have 18 short years with him. 18 summers … 18 birthday cakes … 18 Christmas Eves that will fly away in a mere blink of time.  Read to him … sing to him … prioritize him … laugh with him … pray with Him … dream with him … hold him.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment