Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You Wanna Know What I Love

The other night Makayla was sitting on Grandma Allen's table putting a puzzle together.  After every piece she placed, she smiled and clapped her hands together. She was excited and happy with each step of the way, not just with the end result. When I see her do things like this, I can't help but wonder how much better this world would be if adults carried on even the tiniest bit of these characteristic from childhood.

I also love how much Makayla loves her brother.  When Mason and I take Makayla to school on Tuesdays, we always have to enter the doors by pushing the automatic handicapped button.  What makes me smile is when Makayla says "Buddy, you can push the button this morning"!  As much as Makayla loves to push the button herself, she always lets Mason do it.  And when I try to talk Makayla into letting herself push the button, she always tells me that it's alright - Mason can do it, he loves to do it.  And what makes me smile even more is when Makayla gets mad when another kid pushes the button before we can.  Why does it make me smile?  Because I love to watch how mad she gets that somebody took that away from her brother and then I love to watch her "calm" Mason down, as if he was upset.  She tells him that it's alright and we'll wait for the door to close so he can push the button.  I love how much she cares about making Mason happy and I love how good it makes her feel to let Mason do the honor of opening the doors for us when that is something that she loves to do so much herself.  She's a good girl.

And you wanna know what else I love?

I love that Mason has to hug me and cuddle me and bury his body into my arms when he is getting in trouble.  Whenever I have to scold Mason or be stern with him, he'll immediately begin crying, run to me, and hug me.  I love it.  I love how it's his sweet little way of saying "I'm sorry, mommy".  I love that he is so sensitive.
 
What I also love (and hate) is our exchange of good-nights.  Every night, after tucking him into bed, as I walk out his door, he'll sweetly cry out "byyyyyye" and when I look back I see his little hand waving in the air by the glow of his night light.  Oooooh, it makes me want to cry.  I love it because I love the sound of his tiny little voice and I love that it's his way of telling me good night.  I understand.  I'm leaving so he thinks he should say "bye", just has he has learned over the past year...but geez!  There are only so many "good byes" a mother can take at bedtime.  It's time we start working on "night night"!

There are so many things I love about each of my kids.  They are two individuals that bring more to my life than I ever thought possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment