Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 2012

Happy Easter!!
What a beautiful day we had!
  • In the days leading up to Easter, we participated in several egg hunts and tried to get used to the Easter Bunny.  We had a lot of fun with the egg hunt, but no such luck with the Easter Bunny.  I don't blame the kids, though.  The Easter egg hunts have been fun to watch this year.  Mason woud run for the first egg, pick it up, and put it in his basket.  He'd look around for us and start telling us about the "ball" that he had.  At that point, he'd be done with the egg hunt.  He would sit down and play with the egg, aka ball.  He's satisfied with his one egg.  Makayla, on the other hand, runs wildly around until you remind her that she needs to pick up the eggs. She'll finally bend down to pick up an egg, shake it vigorously, and put it in her basket.  She'll take her time with each egg to make sure there is something in it before she puts it in her basket.  She's also the kid out there that finds the broken ones and stops to put them back together.  She's definitely not competitive, yet, when it comes to Easter egg hunts.
  • Today, we enjoyed a great church service with our family.  We then headed out to a cookout at Grandma and Grandpa Allen's for lunch and then went to Grandma and Grandpa Curry's for a traditional Easter dinner with ham, potatoes, and the fixins'.  We're blessed to be able to spend Easter with our families.  The cousins got to have another Easter egg hunt together at Grandma and Grandpa Curry's -  Makayla was getting eggs for Kyleigh, and Kyleigh was getting eggs for Mason.  It made me smile.
  • The Easter bunny left Makayla some Cry Baby (filled with extra sour flavor crystals) gum.  If you like things sour, check it out!  I put a piece in my mouth as Makayla was going through her Easter basket and, of course, started going into convulsions and rolling on the floor.  I couldn't finish it and had to clean up a puddle of saliva and tears after I spit it out.  Seeing that it was horrible, Makayla immediately said she wanted to play a joke on Grandpa Allen and give him a piece in church.  So...we brought some gum to church.  Of course, grandpa didn't want any gum - but grandma, Aunt Nina, and cousin Holly did!  And like I said, I recommend buying and sharing some Cry Baby gum to find the humor in this story (but be sure to find some with the extra sour flavor crystals).  Makayla then wanted to share her gum with Kyleigh and Kole...and Aunt Jenny and Gage.  Thanks to Cry Baby gum, we had an abundant amount of laughter today - the type of laughter that brings tears rolling down your cheeks.  And what makes it even a little funnier to me is that Makayla is the one who wants to play this joke on people by giving them her gum, yet she makes the statement "I want to break the Easter bunny's hips for bringing me this gum".  I, of course, was shocked at what she said and told her that is not a very nice thing to say at all.  I asked her where she heard that from and she told me that the Easter Bunny taught her to say that.

Not only did we have a wonderful weekend with our family celebrating Easter, but I volunteered some time raising money for Relay for Life.  Our team had a bake sale and sold rib-eye and porkchop sandwiches at our local grocery store.  Those who know me, know I don't really "bake", so I had a great friend from Fudge-N-Things donate some yummy fudge to put in our bake sale.  Is that cheating?  I don't know, but what I do know is that we raised over $450 just this weekend and that's what is important!

Let the resurrection joy lift us from loneliness and weakness and despair to strength and beauty and happiness. ~Floyd W. Tomkins

No comments:

Post a Comment