Monday, April 23, 2012

From Dinner to Believing In Miracles, And Every Song In Between

For dinner tonight we had pancakes and scambled eggs. We ate in the living room and watched Max And Ruby. After dinner, the tornado hit.

The kids got crazy, baskets of toys were dumped, tents popped up, tunnels were built in the hallway, balls were bouncing, clothes came off, this mom laughed, and the music came on.

And the music came on…

“Sweet Caroline” blared over the stereo echoing off of the walls and wood floor. Mason was laughing uncontrollably and Makayla was spinning circles in the kitchen - carefree…“Haaaands, Touching haaaands, Reaching oooout, Touching meee, Touching yoooou, Sweeeeet Caroline, Good times never seemed so good”…Yes, Good times never seemed so good.

Then, I started singing along to “I Will Survive”. Sounding just like Gloria Gaynor, I belted out “First I was afraid, I was petrified”…and you could totally tell my kids were petrified. I think. I don’t if they were scared of my singing or freaked out because I was so good.

Then it was time for “Ice Ice Baby”. Makayla tried the entire song to form a gangster sign with her fingers while Mason stood, grinning ear to ear, beating his hands to his thighs with the beat. The boy impressed me. He definitely doesn’t get his rhythm from his mama. I was in band and could play the flute beautifully, but for some reason, have zero rhythm outside of the flute. I’m the person in the crowd clapping OFFbeat from everybody else!

I tried to slow it down a bit with number 5 on the CD - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole’s version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. You know, that beautiful island version that always makes me teary-eyed because it’s that one song I played for Makayla when she was in my womb. But no. The little ones were not up for “slowing” it down.

So we quickly moved on to…

Jason Mrazs “I’m Yours” (It’s Our God Forsaken Right To Be Loved)
Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” (That Makayla HAD to sing all by herself)
OAR’s “Hey Girl” (Allowed for a quick reminiscent moment of my high school years)
Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl” (Had Mason “snapping” away. Sooo not the snapping song, but he was concentrating so hard with his little fingers)
A couple Zac Brown Band songs (That made me feel so good)

…And we ended our crazy escapades with Mason walking the obstacle course of toys, gates, and tents while Makayla and I played catch (with her catching the ball every single time causing her to beam brightly), listening to Hot Chocolate’s “I Believe In Miracles”…and yes, I do believe in miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment