Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mason's Veins

What's so special about this picture?...

On the left side of his chest - directly above his heart...

...his veins pop so bright through his fair skin, but if you look closely, you will see that his veins make the shape of a heart.
It's neat, it makes me smile, and I find myself captivated by it. 
It's like his heart is shining through...

I know, I know - This is probably something that only I can find amusing because I'm his mom and he's my son (and maybe Kevin and I are the only ones that can see it) - but, I think it's too cool that Mason's veins are in the shape of a heart, directly above his beating heart on the inside.  In some strange way, it's symbolic for me!

...and besides sharing this story about his heart, I'm also going to share a story about when I got to watch Mason sleep.

The other night when we had a slumber party at Aunt Nina's house everybody was spread out to sleep.  Mason was in Kristina's bed, Kevin was in the spare bed, and Kristina and Makayla were on the couch.  When it was time for me to go to sleep, I crawled into bed with Mason. 

Normally, this is what I see...
...My baby boy sound asleep behind the crib bars.  When I peek in on him at night, I always wish I could jump in bed with him for a few minutes to cuddle him and watch him sleep.

Well...I did just that at Aunt Nina's house.  I crawled into bed with him for the night.  Of course, when I got in bed, I slightly startled him.  He slowly opened his eyes, while I quickly closed mine before we made eye contact (leaving them cracked just a bit to watch him).  He sleepily opened his eyes, saw me, then closed his eyes tight again.  He grinned.

I know he grinned because he knew I was there beside him. 

For the next 30-40 minutes, I watched Mason sleep by the glow of my phone.  It was so peaceful and I am still amazed at how many times he smiled in just the short amount of time I was watching him. 
Holding his hand, feeling his breath on my face, and watching him smile was wonderful and not something I get to do every night.

I'm lucky. I'm lucky that Mason is mine.
Blue veined heart and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment