Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Just Me And My Mason


I can remember when Mason was born.  I can remember the few weeks leading up to his birth and the few weeks following his birth.

I would cry.

Even though I would be giving Makayla a friend forever in her brother, I felt like I was taking her mommy away.  I would be changing her life, bringing a baby into her world, and taking away the only life that she knew. 

I would cry.

Even though I would be giving Mason a friend forever in his sister, I desperately worried that he would never know the undivided adoration of first-time parents.

Once Mason arrived, I realized that sharing my love between my babies wasn't difficult.  It was easy. It just came natural.  Mason quickly and easily slid into his place in our family and Makayla instantly fell in love with him which made the transition from being an only child amazingly easy. 

But because I wanted Makayla involved in every aspect of our new life, I never separated her and Mason.  I wanted her to know that we were a family, they were brother and sister, and he wasn't replacing anything that she and I had before.  She was there for feedings, diaper changes, baths, and everything in between. 

On the rare occasion that I had a minute alone with Mason, I would hold onto that minute with everything I had.  I would even shed a few tears as I held him, thinking to myself how special our time alone would be from here on out.  

Well, finally, 9 months later...

I started something that I really like.  I started something that Mason really likes.  We started this last week and I hope that it is something that continues for awhile. 

A few nights a week, I will give Mason his bath...all by himself.  It's just me and him. 
We play.  We splash.  We sing. 
After a good bath, I wrap him up in his towel that's been warming up on the heater and we go to his room and rock in his rocking chair. 
We rock.  We talk.  We stare at each other. 
Then when he's dry and warm we'll lay on the floor. 
We diaper.  We lotion.  We powder.
We talk.  We play.  We sing.

It's our time.  Our alone time.  Time that I cherish.  Time that I hold onto. 

...because I know it won't be long that big sister Makayla will be skipping into Mason's room, merrily saying "Hiiiii buddy!!" and a magnificent smile will sweep across Mason's face. 
...And I can sit back and smile at the fact that I am Makayla's and Mason's mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment