Saturday, December 28, 2013

Old Draft

While cleaning up my blog, I ran across several drafts - blogs that I started and never finished.  Below is one of those drafts - a blog I started in February 2013...and never finished it.  Why didn't I finish it?  Maybe I was afraid of offending people...or maybe I was afraid of the debate it might create...or maybe I was writing it for the wrong reasons...or maybe I just wasn't sure how to end it...but either way, I like where I was going with it. 

Reading it now, I have the urge to continue it - to end the post, but I'll just leave it.  Leave it as it is. 

*******************************************************************


Being asked to decide between your passion for work and your passion for children is like being asked by your doctor whether you prefer him to remove your brain or your heart. 
- Mary Kay Blakely

  Collectively, after time off from each baby, I have had 36 weeks of being a stay-at-home mom. 
It is a hard job to stay at home day after day to raise your kids and it is also a hard job to raise your kids as a mother with a career.  Being a stay-at-home mom and a working mom are both hard...each in their own ways.

I love being a mother and I love having a career, and even though it is not easy, it is indeed possible to be  successful in your career and be a loving parent.  Just because I've chosen to raise my kids while also having a career, I still have respect for those mothers who choose the opposite - to stay at home with their kids.  I appreciate the respect in return.

I love my children and I love them more than anything else on this Earth. 
 I love the way Mason holds his spoon, the way Makayla plays house, and the sweet sound of Mia's voice as she squeals and talks. I love the way Mason snuggles against me when he gets up from his nap, the way Makayla applauds herself after practicing her letters, and the way Mia stares in amazement when she shakes her rattle.  I love the way Mason says "horse poop" every single time he smells something stinky, how proud Makayla is when she holds her baby sister, and the way Mia starts to excitedly pant with a smile on her face when she knows I'm going to feed her.  I love Mason's continued passion for bowling, when Makayla makes a club house under Mia's crib, and when Mia doesn't take her eyes off of me for one second when she's in the arms of someone else.  I love my kids' character, the strength of their hugs, and where their imaginations take them. I love to kiss their cheeks and hold them tight.
...I could hold them forever.

When I leave them to go to work, I miss them so much.  I miss every single thing about them -

but...

all of this is still waiting for me when I get home from work, and in the meantime, my kids are sharing their love and joy while soaking in the love from some of their most important role models - teachers, baby sitters, grandparents...


~ I love missing my kids all day long.
At the end of the work day, I love the way they greet me when I pick them up from daycare.  I love to see Mason's eyes light up as soon as I pull in the driveway as he is waiting for me at the front door.  I can read his little lips yelling "mommy!  mommy!  mommy!" and I get a kick out of how he sometimes pushes the other kids out of the way saying "MY mommy".  I love how Makayla prances over to me excited to tell me about her day and what she learned in school ate for a snack in school.  And I'm looking so very forward to seeing Mia's big ol' grin and her eyes beaming with excitement when I get to pick her up and finally hold her in my arms again at the end of the day.  





Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, and to work, and to play and to look up at the stars. 
- Henry Van Dyke


...if there's one thing I hope for my kids when they become parents, I hope that they don't give up on work and education.

...after being gone from my kids all day, when we are together, it's about them. Always. i'm ready to give them my all.

...no matter what, my children always have and always will come first.

....challenging, chaotic, balancing act = great joys, rewards are sweet and rich

No comments:

Post a Comment