Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fair Junkies

You know those things...
           places...
                 smells...
                       sounds...
...that take you back?  Back to when you were little?  Back to a time when life was simple...and beautiful...hopeful...playful...imaginary...

"Nothing is more memorable than a smell.  One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains..."

Irish Spring Soap - Almost every time I walk down the soap aisle at the store, I pick up a bar of Irish Spring, put it right up to my nose, and take it in.  It reminds me of my Grandma and Grandpa Ryan.

Sometimes, I buy Caress soap because it reminds me of taking bubble baths at my Grandma Allen's house.

When Kevin hears the song "Tutti Fruiti" it reminds him of eating at Double Nickel.  That's the first place he heard that song and he remembers laughing so hard he 'almost peed his pants'.

The things which the child loves remain in the domain of the heart until old age - and when I was a child, I remember how much I loved going to the fair.  My sister and I would overflow with excitement and anticipation as we would wait for the fair to start.  I loved everything about the fair - the food, the lights, the rides, the smells, the demo derby.  I loved it all...and I still do...and I know Makayla and Mason are going to grow to love it, also!  Just standing in line with Makayla, I was taken back to the days when my mom and dad were standing in line with me.  I couldn't help but smile at my childhood memories of the fair as I was making the same memories with my kids.




We spent the week riding the slide, ferris wheel, and crazy bus...over and over and over again.  The crazy bus was Makayla's favorite ride and hearing her say "crazy bus" made me, and still makes me, laugh out loud.  We played games and even won a goldfish.  Makayla named him Fair.  We ate lots of food and Makayla has a new favorite - cheese on a stick.  She can eat an entire cheese on a stick!  We fed and petted the animals almost every night and doing that brought squeals and smiles from Mason!



We had a wonderful week at the fair...and one of my favorite memories this year -
Makayla and Grandpa Allen riding the Tilt-A-Whirl together!!



No comments:

Post a Comment