Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Parenting Is Tough

Raising three kids ages 5 and under is hard.

It's demanding, exhausting, frustrating, and challenging.  It's tough.  

Being a parent (especially to three little ones in my case) is a workout! - it's physically, emotionally, and mentally draining.

It's hard work...and at the end of the day, when everyone is tucked into bed, I flop on the couch (or in the tub) and thank God that we made it through another day.

...And that all may sound harsh, but it's the truth.  Most days, by the end of the day, I cannot wait to put my babes to bed...but by morning, I cannot wait to wake them up and start all over again.  I love being a mother.  It's what keeps me going.  It's what keeps my heart beating.  My children are my reason for living and no matter how hard it is or how stressful the days become, I can say that the goodness of being a parent outweighs all of that.  The beautiful parts of parenting FAR outweigh all of the demands, exhaustion, and frustrations.  Parenting fills you with a love so deep - so deep it hurts.  

In those moments, though, when I feel like I want to quit and walk away (and i know that i'm not the only mom to feel that way sometimes), or my level of anger is rising, or my eyes are burning with exhaustion, or my patience is running thin, what keeps me afloat?...what keeps me going?...what opens me eyes? 

Well, through the years, I've discovered that it truly is the simple things in  life that shine a light for us when we need it...
when I need a light to shine in those parenting moments, I'm thankful to run across those 'simple things' -

Monster trucks and power tools that get tucked into bed at night with a little boy...

Finding that Mia was busy filling her shoes with crayons.  It's funny how spotting a shoe filled with crayons can bring a smile to my face.  All too soon, the days of finding little things like this will be gone...and I know I'll miss it...

Discovering a cage on my kitchen counter with a lady bug eating cantaloupe...and then to read the sticker that has been put on the cage "Love is the golden thread that ties our hearts and souls together"...

Hearing the kids squeal as they jump into mud puddles.  It brings so much joy to know how happy they are and how much fun they're having by puddle jumping.

Having this sweet baby girl look up at me with her beautiful smile - it melts my heart.


Finding wilted flowers that had once been a bouquet wrapped by Makayla's hair tie. 

And, seriously, every time I'm in the shower and catch a glimpse of the kids' shampoo, I say a quick prayer to God, thanking him for my children. 

Little notes I find through out the house from Makayla -
I love God and Jesus,
Love for Lyndie,
and a heart encircling all of our names in the family.
I know she's only 5, but there is so much to be learned from her. 

A little boy who excitedly shoves his arm in my face as he tells me that he's growing into a daddy because he has hair poking out of his arm.

Toothless smiles and climbing trees... 

My two beautiful daughters playing in the muddy woods... 

And, if I only held onto the draining and difficult parts of parenthood, I would miss out on so much!
I would miss out on all the joy my children bring to me every day.
I would miss out on the beauty of life with them.
I would miss out on the lessons they have to teach me.
I would miss out on making good, wonderful memories with my kids.


 Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when raking leaves 
- marcelene cox


No comments:

Post a Comment