Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pee, Poop, and Pipe

Makayla:  My bladder is FULL of poop.


Mommy:  No, it's not.  Your bladder is full of PEE.

Makayla:  Then where's my poop?

Mommy:  Your poop is in your colon - a tube in your belly.

Makayla:  Well, I've seen grandpa's pipe.


**Being on the topic of pee, bladders, and poop, I kinda got a lump in my throat and my heart started racing with the thought of what she might be referring to when she says "pipe"...**


Mommy:  What's grandpa's pipe??



Makayla:  His skinny, not fat, pipe from his heart surgery!
Remember when his heart hurt?

Whew!
I was nervous where we headed with that one!

While Makayla definitely keeps us on our toes, she never ceases to amaze me. 
 
From our short conversation this evening, I was reminded of Grandpa Curry's heart surgery 18 months ago - a moment in life that I think about often, and obviously so does my 5 year old daughter. 

 I know visiting grandpa in the days following his surgery, Makayla was in her element. 
 She loved the hospital, she loved the machines, and she loved seeing grandpa's incisions.  
She loved asking questions, she loved to touch what she could, and she loved learning about the surgery and grandpa's post-op care.  

She wasn't scared and she was very inquisitive.

And that makes me smile.
...and then I start to laugh out loud when I think about what I thought she might have been talking about when she was talking about seeing grandpa's pipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment