Monday, September 17, 2012

Dear Mason

Dear Mason,

You are TWO years old today!  
...and there hasn't been a single day in the last two years that you haven't brought joy to my life. 
We lit your candles and sang "Happy Birthday" to you two times tonight because you loved it so much.  Watching you sing, blow out your two candles, and applaud yourself is something I could watch you do over and over again.  The way your birthday has made you smile - has made you beam - has filled me with warm fuzzies!

You are my everything, Mason.

Every single thing about you, from the tip of your blonde hair to the depth of your tender heart, has taught me so much about being a mom...about having a son...about life.  And as I have been busy raising you these past two years, you have been busy raising me.

I love tucking you into bed at night.  I love covering you up, cuddling with you, and kissing you goodnight.  I love how we can lay there in pure silence, making eye contact every couple of minutes, and grinning at each other through the glow of your nightlight.  Listening to you suck your thumb, I soak up these nights. 

I love that you love to eat.  For the most part, you are such a good eater.  You'll eat mostly anything, but still have your very favorites...cottage cheese, string cheese, macaroni and cheese, cereal, yogurt, grapes, and popsicles!  Popsicles are your all time favorite things to eat and when the box is empty, you have a fit!

I love how you are talking more and more every day.  You are beginning to talk in sentences, placing 2-4 words together to tell us what you want.  It is so fun to hear you grow and talk!  Everytime we drive by McDonalds you'll yell out the window "Donalds niiiice" (McDonalds is nice)...and you've started to yell out "ice cream" when we drive by Dairy Queen.

I love that you are finally sticking up to your big sister.  You are holding your own and I love it. You are now protecting yourself and your toys from Makayla.  It's entertaining to watch you two work things our between yourselves.

I love the way you play with balls.  Your Sunday School teacher made a comment once saying that with the arm you have, she'll be following your name in high school.  You do have a strong arm, son, and you will have a talent with balls.  Your throw is amazing and your stance is awesome.  You make me smile. You should see your bowling pose!  You bowl that ball with one arm behind you and one arm bent up in the air above your head - then you hold it until the ball has stopped rolling.  Amazing.

...and that smile. I love your smile - the way your entire face lights up, your eyes beam, your cheeks round out - that stops me in my tracks...that makes my heart skip a beat.  Your smile is your gift to the world.

I love that every older man with facial hair is "HO HO" (Santa)...
I love that when you get scared of something or someone you say "Gitchu" (Get You) - then when I tell you it's okay, you'll bring your little finger up to your face and say "nice" with big wide eyes...
I love that you are left handed and when we give you something in your right hand, you don't know how to function...  
I love that your hugs are getting stronger every day and that your kisses are getting bigger every day...
I love to hear you imitate animal sounds - especially when you snort like a pig!...
I love you, Mason.
...every.single.thing.about.you.
I cannot imagine living this life without you.
...and although I am holding strong to these days with you right now, I cannot wait to grow old with you, my son.  I love you and feel blessed to live my life with you.
Always and forever,
~your mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment