Tuesday, July 31, 2012

25 Weeks And A Non-Stress Test

I'm telling you - I have a wild woman in my womb!

We went for a regular doctor visit this morning - 25 weeks, 4 days.

First - Weigh - check (gained 3 pounds)
Second - Pee in a cup - check.
Third - Blood pressure - check (110/60)
Finally - Listen to baby's heartbeat - check (extremely fast)

I couldn't help it, but at the sound of baby's heartbeat, I started giggling.  I had just never heard her heartbeat so loud and so fast before!  Dr laughed and asked me what I had for breakfast.  I only had a banana, a bowl of cereal, and juice (and two bottles of water so I could pee in the cup)...but you would have thought that I had Oreos and a Mountain Dew for breakfast!

After our appointment, I made my next appointment for three weeks - one of my favorite visits to the doctor while being pregnant.  In three weeks we get to do the Glucose Test to test for gestational diabetes (I love the orange drink you get to drink for it) and do another ultrasound!

...then I headed upstairs to the OB floor at the request of doctor to do a non-stress test.  He wanted to monitor baby's heart beat for a little bit.

I laid in bed, they hooked me up (to a monitor for the heartbeat and a monitor for contractions), and watched the Olympics.  I was supposed to only be monitored for about 45 minutes, but because baby was so active and moved around so much, it was about 1.5 hours!  It was hard for them to get data with baby on the move, but doctor said that if everything looked normal from what they did have, then I could be discharged.  Thankfully, everything looked great!

*While being monitored, I learned from the nurse that a fetal heart rate of over 160 beats per minute is considered Tachycardia*

Remember those two bottles of water and a cup of juice I had before my appointment?...well, that started kicking in!!  A couple of times while being monitored, my bladder reached the maximum capacity of urine and I had to get up to use the restroom.  Whew!  

Anyway, the way things have been going for us, I should have expected that we weren't going to have an easy and normal doctor's appointment.  It's just a little nerve-wracking to have to be monitored and possibly consider there might be an issue, but I'm thankful that everything sounded and looked good and that I got to hear my baby's heartbeat and strong loud kicks for 1.5 hours this morning!



No comments:

Post a Comment