Saturday, February 1, 2014

A Glimpse

Last night, I had a little glimpse of the future with my girls.  
Of course, it was on a much more scaled down version of what the future will hold for them, but none the less, it was a little glimpse...a little taste.

During bath time tonight, Makayla and Mia had a tub full of toys floating in purple water.



Mia threw a toy out.

She smirked at me.



I looked at her straight in the eyes and with a stern voice, told her "no".  Then, I explained why we cannot throw toys out of the tub.  

She just stared at me.  Stared at me with her big beautiful eyes.  Her mouth was left hanging open, in shock that she was just scolded.


THEN...

Then Makayla whispered to Mia, handed her a toy, and looked at her with an evil little grin on her face.


Mia threw the toy out the tub.  Makayla laughed, Mia giggled, I glared, and Mia stared.  Stared at me with her big beautiful eyes.  

Makayla laughed and told Mia that this was fun.

Makayla then whispered to Mia again, handed her a toy (and when I say a toy, I mean legos.  big legos.  legos that are filled with water), and looked at her with an evil grin on her face.

Mia threw the toy out the tub.  Makayla laughed, Mia giggled, I glared and shook my head, and Mia stared.  Stared at me with her big beautiful eyes.

Makayla laughed, rubbed Mia's back, and told her how fun this was.  Makayla told Mia that she was a good girl.  


This happened a couple more times before I put a stop to it.  I had Mia crying (broke my heart) when I emptied the toys out of the tub, held her hands, told her "no", and wouldn't crack from my "mean" face.  She turned her back on me and sobbed.  Makayla immediately started patting her back and telling her that she was a good girl and that it was okay.  Suddenly, I had Makayla crying.  I told her that she wasn't being a very good big sister because she KNEW she was making Mia do something that was against the rules.  Through her tears, she kept telling me that she was just trying to have fun.  
That's all, mom.
Trying to have fun...


*sigh*

As parents, we work very hard to set a good example for our kids....


but...


I'm pretty sure that my children are going to learn just as much from each other as they are from Kevin and I.

I think siblings are very influential in each others' lives.  


Right now, Mia watches every.single.move that her big brother and big sister make.  She's listening, watching, and mimicking.   She's paying attention to everything - the good and the bad.  And this "paying attention to big sister" thing is going to follow her throughout the years.


Last night, Mia (knowing it was wrong) threw water filled legos out of the tub because Makayla told her to. Then Makayla would praise her - laughing, rubbing her back, and telling her she was a good girl.  



I know it's only bath toys now, but if we don't work hard to raise our kids with having morals, showing respect,  and all the other characteristics I find to be extremely important, life will be a little bit more challenging...when I'm living in a house with THREE teenagers!


No comments:

Post a Comment